About Me

I'm the Rabbi of B'nai Israel Synagogue in West Bloomfield, MI, a highly-participatory, traditional, egalitarian synagogue.

Monday, December 7, 2009

I'm Back

I’m back. I can’t promise I won’t take other hiatuses. But I’m back.


So why haven’t I blogged recently?

Trying to get over the self-promotion thing, which is not my style. I’m also not a from-my-mind-to-the-airwaves kind of guy. I choose my words carefully. I’m repelled by the orgy of words in the blogosphere, and don’t want to contribute to that. If it’s under my name, it will be good, concise, and well thought-out.

I want to create thoughtful communal discussion, not pat myself on the back.

I’ll tell the truth as I see it. I’m here to offer candid observations about the ups and downs of aliyah to Israel, to enable you to experience it vicariously, and to hopefully better prepare those of you considering taking this crazy ride. And it will certainly be a forum to celebrate/wring my hands over whatever victories/challenges aliyah brings next.

That very candidness that has scared me away from “these pages” for a while. I turned 42 last week (If you want to send me a present, how ‘bout a copy of a recent Sports Illustrated?). I’ve left career, economic security, family, and language mastery behind. For a wobbly, unsecured ride with my wife and kids that may lead to a dream. But also not.

And I’m managing a transition more difficult (at least for me!) than any of the above. Living the life of a full-time dad. Yes, let’s say it, full-time dad. It’s taken me a long time to “get into the groove,” to embrace the role, to validate it, to do it capably – and to then carve out the time for my other endeavors.

No need to ramble, which I am getting close to doing.

It’s also almost time to leave for Adina’s class Chanukah party. She was literally jumping out of her skin after school today, just bursting with excitement about the festivities of the school day – making liveevot and sufganiyot (latkes and donuts) in preparation for tonight. The kids are off school next week for Chanukah, so the school festivities happen now. Then they’ll be back in school to celebrate Christmas and New Year’s…..

No comments:

Post a Comment