About Me

I'm the Rabbi of B'nai Israel Synagogue in West Bloomfield, MI, a highly-participatory, traditional, egalitarian synagogue.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Why We're Here -- An Anecdote

August 30, 2009


I may repeat this often, but tonight is why we made aliyah. It was the start of the year gathering for Adina’s school, Yachad, the closest thing to a pluralistic Jewish day school that Modiin has to offer. I tell you the truth that I have never seen more Jewish kids gathered together in one place in my life. 1100 students, grades K-10. And that does not even include younger siblings, parents, and passersby, numbering in the thousands.

Happily, here we are just a typical Jewish family looking for quality Jewish education for our kids. No bells, no whistles. No banging down our door to get us to come. No special scholarships offered. And no need for them. Normalcy. Fighting no tide.

Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment